During the 1960s Jean Verschuer worked with the architectural firms of Forbes and Fitzhardinge and Summerhayes and Associates and was consultant to large public companies, private firms, government agencies and local councils on a range of projects. These included standard-gauge railway stations, the Salvation Army village in Hollywood Western Australia, and the design of major mining towns and their surrounds.
Margaret Feilman OBE was Perth’s first female town planner. She also had a successful career as an architect and landscape designer and was an early advocate for identifying and protecting built heritage.
A founding member of the Western Australian Town Planning Institute in 1950, she was also – in 1959 – a founding member of the Western Australian branch of the National Trust of Australia.
Nancy Lorne Allen registered as an architect in 1932; in 1935 she set up a practice in Perth with WG Bennett.
Her designs including the heritage listed Manjimup Infant Health Centre (1946) and Paxwold House, Lesmurdie (1957).
During her long public service career she was involved in many projects around Australia, including armament factories, schools and housing in Darwin, the Springvale Hostel in Melbourne, overseas diplomatic accommodation, and Commonwealth office buildings in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Darwin.
In 1971 Cynthea Teague was awarded an MBE for her services to the Commonwealth.
Western Australia’s first woman architect, Margaret Pitt Morison’s career spanned more than 64 years as practitioner, educator and historian. She registered as an architect in October 1924 and worked and stiudied in Melbourne for the next four years.
In the 1930s she worked on the Perth buildings the Myola Club in Claremont, the Adelphi Hotel, the Karrakatta Club and the Emu Brewery; in the early 1940s in partnership with Heinz Jacobsohn she designed Perth residences including the Marginata Flats and a substantial house for herself and her father in the suburb of Dalkeith.
Location: Kings Park and Botanic Gardens, Fraser Avenue, West Perth WA 6005
Location: Kings Park Road at main entrance to Kings Park, Perth, WA