Most of Canberra has been planned and designed by men and Margaret Hendry is one of the few women who have played a significant role in shaping the landscape of Australia’s national capital.
From 1963 to 1974 Margaret Hendry was a landscape architect with the National Capital Development Commission – the first woman appointed and one of only five female landscape architects in Australia at that time. She worked on the landscape of town centres, shopping centres, parks and playgrounds, schools, cemeteries, and large recreation areas.
Described as ‘a woman for all seasons’ Barbara van den Broek was a registered architect, town planner and landscape architect, as well as a person committed to lifelong learning.
A founding member of the Queensland Institute of Landscape Architects in 1965, she later served terms as secretary, and as president from 1973-75.
Jean Verschuer, Lady Brodie-Hall is a prominent and respected West Australian landscape architect.
During the 1960s Jean Verschuer worked with the architectural firms of Forbes and Fitzhardinge and Summerhayes and Associates and was consultant to large public companies, private firms, government agencies and local councils on a range of projects. These included standard-gauge railway stations, the Salvation Army village in Hollywood Western Australia, and the design of major mining towns and their surrounds.
Margaret Feilman OBE was Perth’s first female town planner. She also had a successful career as an architect and landscape designer and was an early advocate for identifying and protecting built heritage.
A founding member of the Western Australian Town Planning Institute in 1950, she was also – in 1959 – a founding member of the Western Australian branch of the National Trust of Australia.
Landscape designer Edna Walling was a complex, talented and prodigious designer who devoted her life to her profession. Her far-sighted approach is as relevant today as at the peak of her career 70 years ago.
Edna Walling made landscape drawing into an art form. Her plans are now treasured works of art, just as her few remaining gardens are highly valued.
Architect Marion Lucy Mahony Griffin was among the first women to prove that women had the intellectual capacity, creative talent and administrative ability to contribute to the profession of architecture, previously regarded as the right of men.
She was the second woman in the United States to gain a degree in architecture, awarded by the Boston Institute in 1895 and in 1898 the first woman to complete registration examinations to qualify for the practice of architecture.